Thursday, January 10, 2008

(preview) new job

[preface]

Yeah, I got a new job and I have a lot on my mind about my old job...but I'm going to wait until I'm officially out of my old position before posting my thoughts. Call me paranoid, but I just don't want to risk being fired for insubordination because of something I post here (how's that for a teaser).

So here's the first few paragraphs of a much longer entry, the rest of which will be posted in two weeks.

[end preface]

The LORD is close to the brokenhearted
and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

The righteous may have many troubles,
but the LORD delivers them from them all;

Psalm 34:18-19

Well, I don't know if I would go so far as to call myself righteous, but I certainly feel as one who has been delivered.

So some of you know this already, but I recently got a new job! I gave my two weeks notice at my current job on Monday and I wouldn't call it was bittersweet because it was all sweet. Though now that I think about it, my supervisor looked kind of bitter after I told him I was leaving...

Anyway, I'm not exactly sure what my new job will entail but based on the interview with and tour of the company I had last week, it will be nothing like my old job. They told me some aspects of the job can get tedious and boring. I told them I've been stacking boxes for over a year now - nothing they can throw at me can come close to matching the monotony that was my old job. I'll be working for a tech company that has some really impressive voice recognition products that end up being used in in-car GPS navigation units and smart phones and probably lots of other places that I don't know about yet. Honestly, I still can't believe they offered me a position. Almost everyone there has a degree either in programming or electrical engineering. I have a degree in English Literature.

I have to give credit where credit is due and so big ups to George (who asked me to send him a copy of my resume) and Aaron (who got my resume from George and ran it by his boss...and I know he vouched for me so double thanks there). A few months ago, I wrote about how I was a part of a huge church renovation project. Most of the work I did there was with the church's new audio system and a lot of that work was done alongside George and Aaron. It was a lot of sweaty, dirty, sometimes intricate work but it paid off - the new sound system is bangin' and I can't help but think that seeing my work ethic firsthand made Aaron's pitch for my position to his boss that much more effective. Who says volunteering doesn't pay?

No comments: