Tuesday, March 29, 2005

28. God Shaped Hole

Was thinking about the concept of a God-shaped hole. Evangelicals have used this idea to explain the existential longing that gnaws at us late at night after reruns and infomercials drive us from the TV. They say that we have this longing because each of us has within us a God-shaped hole that only God can fill. The quote probably comes from Blaise Pascal, who actually called it a God shaped vacuum.

Here's what I've been thinking. If every part of man fell (became corrupted, not what it was originally made to be) during the fall, then even this hole fell. What I mean is, maybe there is this God-shaped cavern within us that is "shaped" in such a way that only God can fill it and make us whole. Well what if the shape of this space was corrupted in the fall along with the rest of man?

I kind of like this idea because it explains why for some people, their relationship with God is hand-in-glove whereas for other people (like me), the fit is not quite so snug. Maybe some peoples' God-holes are more misshapen than others and so they have a harder time relating to, understanding, even believing in God.

I don't know. Maybe this is taking the analogy too far, too literally. But I like it. It makes sense to me.

Anyone else?

No comments: