Wednesday, January 11, 2006

143. iWant

Damn that Steve Jobs! Damn Apple! iDamn the iMac!

Apple just unveiled the latest iMac and I want one. I want one in a way that I haven't wanted a thing in a very, very long time. In fact, the last time I wanted something this bad, I went out and bought it. And I want to go out and buy this iMac but I can't because I'm saving up for a move to the mainland and because I don't really need another computer and because getting this new computer isn't going to make up for not having a girlfriend and because I'm hardly at home anyway so when would I use this computer and because it's a new Intel-based Mac which isn't compatible with Pro Tools which is the only real reason I'd need a faster computer anyway.

As you can see, I'm desperately trying to talk myself out of buying this computer. In fact, what I really need is a new printer which would help me edit my stories which would help me achieve one of my new year's resolutions (see resolution number two in blog 141).

In fact, I've kind of had my eye on a Samsung laser printer selling for about $80 at CompUSA.

But I don't really need a printer either. I have a printer, and even though it's kind of broken, it works well enough to print out text which is all I really need.

I don't like the band Train, but there's one great line in their song "Calling All Angels." The singer is going on about how messed up life is and he observes that ours is "a world where all we want is only what we want until its ours." We love a thing we don't have and once we do get it, we stop loving it, eventually storing it away once the novelty fades.

I don't need the new iMac and I don't need a new printer. I need to make the most of what I already own, which is a lot. A lot more than I deserve, that's for sure.

No comments: